Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Smell of Corn (?)

I grew up in West Virginia, and lived the vast majority of my life so far there, though we moved away about 3 years ago. I'm sure everyone has heard of science fairs. We had those in West Virginia, but we also had a Social Studies Fair we could participate in as well. I LOVED the Social Studies Fair and took part in it pretty much every year from the time I was in 5th grade. I got pretty good at it and placed just about every year at school level and county level. A couple of times I placed 1st at county level and so got to move up to the state level of the Fair! This included a fun trip to Charleston, the state capital, where the fair took place. I loved it.
One year, Mom and I were headed to (or maybe from, I don't remember) Charleston. They call West Virginia "The Mountain State" for an excellent reason: most of the state really is a sea of mountains and nothing else. It's gorgeous but can get a little monotonous after driving through it a while. Anyway, we were partway through the drive, in the middle of the mountains, stuck in a radio wasteland. Mom was flipping through the radio channels, trying to find something good to listen to. At one point, we heard a snatch of an extremely bizarre song. It sounded like a really old song, and some guy was singing soulfully, "The smell of coal...". Then the radio flipped to the next station and it was gone. It was just so weird and random Mom and I looked at each other and started laughing. I'd heard "the smell of coal" but Mom thought she'd heard "the smell of corn". In any case, it's something we laugh about to this day. We've never been able to figure out what we heard. So if any of you know of any songs about the smell of coal or corn, let me know what they are! It's a mystery I'd love to solve.
Anyway, speaking of the smell of corn, here's a recipe that smells of corn and deliciousness; skillet corn. This is one of our favorite side dishes- it goes great with so many meals. It's an easy recipe and a delicious treat of a way to get your veggies.

The ingredients are pretty much pantry staples, and you can use fresh or frozen corn. You'll need: 3 cups of corn, 1/2 c water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/4 c butter,  1/4 c milk, and 1 tbsp flour. (The recipe calls for 3 cups of corn, but the package of frozen corn I used only had about 2 and 1/2 cups' worth in it- that worked just fine).


Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the milk and flour into a saucepan and cover it with a lid. Heat the mixture over medium-high heat until it starts to simmer.


Next, stir the flour into the milk until it is thoroughly mixed. Pour this mixture into the corn mixture. (You can leave the lid off the pan now). Cook and stir the corn until the sauce thickens.


And that's about it! Simple and delicious. It's buttery, creamy, and warm, with the fresh, sweet taste of corn- a definite comfort food.

--Taylee



No comments:

Post a Comment